IPMO aims at strengthening cooperation between 1RRI and the national agricultural research and extension systems (NARES) of rice-growing countries. It provides research support to facilitate collaborative IRRI-NARES research planning and implementation, develops and monitors bilateral country projects, and develops and maintains data banks of relevant information on collaborating countries and NARES. IPMO works closely with the IRRl Training Center in enhancing human resource capacity of developing rice-growing countries. IPMO has its main office at IRRl headquarters in Los Banos, Philippines, and 11 country offices in Asia and Africa.
The Head will:
• Provide leadership and manage the operations of IPMO to ensure the successful implementation of TYPO activities;
• Work closely with NARES and country offices to mobilize in-country and regional resource and to develop bilateral projects on rice research and development;
• Undertake activities, which may include research, that will enhance the linkage between 1RRI research programs and NARES activities, with particular attention to the mechanisms for effective delivery of technology and other IRRl products;
• Oversee the operational management, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of country and regional projects;
• Timely communicate relevant information to country offices; suggest technologies for testing, evaluation, and adaptation; and actively facilitate
• Collaboration among IRRl headquarters and country staff and national programs.
The incumbent will be based at lRRI headquarters in Los Banos, Philippines. Extensive international travel will be required. The incumbent will report to the Deputy Director General for partnership.
• A Ph.D. Of equivalent with 10-plus years of experience in disciplines relevant to agriculture social sciences, rural development, or management;
• Experience in leading and managing a complex multi location, international research/ extension/training program;
• Excellent interpersonal and facilitating skills;
• Skilled at working in culturally diverse environments; ability to work with and empathize with many different nationalities;
• Experience in rice-growing countries of Asia, with good understanding of NARES agricultural and training needs;
• Track record in fund raising.
Salary and benefits
Salary and perquisites are internationally competitive, including support for education of children, car and housing, and medical and retirement benefits. IRRI provides a gender sensitive environment and welcomes women applicants. Citizens of developing countries, particularly rice-producing countries, are also encouraged to apply. The Institute is committed to assisting families in making personal and, to the extent possible, professional adjustments to the local environment.
Send comprehensive curriculum vitae and names and email addresses of three referees to :
Ms. Selene M. Ocampo
International Rice Research Institute
DAPO Box 777
Metro Manila, Philippines
Tel: (63-2) 891-1292/580-5600
Fax:: (63-2) 580-5699
Applications will be accepted until 25 August 2005 or until a suitable candidate is identified. The successful candidate is expected to report in January 2006.
Please refer to code IS-IPMO-03.
Source : International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)